Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Anne's New and Hot - week 6


This week I read two interesting articles that relate to the Galapagos Islands and to eachother. I visited the Galapagos when I was eleven years old, and when I went the Galapagos was an extremeley exotic destination for most Americans. In fact, the only reason I went is becaue I am half Ecuadorian and I was living in Venezuela at the time. When I went, I didn't see any other Americans (except for Martha Stuart. ) When I read about the Galapagos Islands in the New York Times Travel Section, I was extremely surprised. The article is entitled, "Galapagos Unbound" and as I read I quickly realized the deeper significance of this title. All of the sudden a trip to the Galapagos is main stream for the American tourist. The article that I read describes a new brand of kayaking tours through the Galapagos. The tone of the article makes it seem like the Galapagos is just another typical adventure vacation. I find that troubling when it comes to the next article I read recently in the BBC.

The aricle in the BBC, entitled, "Galapagos Islands 'facing crises'" describes the new problems in the delicate habitat of the Galapagos Islands. The article was published in April 2007. Apparently, recently, a UN delegation from Unesco, the environemental branch of the UN, gave an official warning of threats to the ecology in the Galapagos. The article mentions the increase in tourism as one of the possible effects, but I see it as a major effect. With articles like the one in the New York Times it is clear that there has to be some sort of control of the toursim. However, as a major source of income in Ecuador, it is difficult to see any possibile solution.

The articles can be found here:
New York Times article: http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/01/08/travel/08galapagos.html?pagewanted=1
BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6543653.stm

No comments: